Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Coach Pleads Guilty in Rape of Young Girls

YMCA employee James Connor gets 20 - 30 years.
"Conner sexually assaulted two girls numerous times while employed as a coach for the Melrose YMCA and used hidden video cameras to record himself in the act. Prosecutors said Conner committed the crimes over several years at his home and at YMCA after-school programs. Both of the victims were under 14 at the time.
Conner was hired at the Y in 1995 as a coach and joined the after-school program in 2001. He was arrested in February 2009."  source:  Boston Examiner

Once again someone most people would trust their children around has proved to be a predatory monster.  Its very sad that we have to be leery of men who choose jobs which involve being around children, but we do.

I feel bad for all the legit basketball coaches are out there teaching teen girls how to play a great sport and mentoring them in teamwork, but unfortunately we need to be suspicious of anyone who works with children.  We need to examine their lives and their actions, and if they put up one ounce of protest - they should not be allowed in the position to be around children.

1 comment:

Jarred said...

A few years ago, a friend and had a conversation that led to this topic. I was talking about the need for people to take care around strangers when it came to her kids. At one point, she made it personal and asked if I wanted the kids in my neighborhood to be afraid of me. "After all," she argued, "You wouldn't hurt anyone."

My response more or less: "No, I wouldn't hurt anyone. But let's face it, the kids in my neighborhood -- and their parents -- don't know that. All they see is an older guy who lives alone and while friendly, tends to keep to himself and is very private. On top of that, I own an adorable cat, the perfect 'bait.' Let's face it, for all these parents know, I could be a predator and I fit the mold perfectly. So yeah, I think they should be cautious around me until they get to know me well enough to know it's not necessary."

It's depressing to think about, but it's true.