Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Latest on the Natalee Holloway Case

I was just watching a news segment on the video tape of Joran van der Sloot and at the same time I received a comment from a friend asking my opinion on it.

Glad you asked, Aprha, here are my thoughts:


Several things bother me about the case. It seemed obvious to me from the start that
Joran van der Sloot was probably at fault but I wondered what his motive would be to kill her. I thought maybe he raped her and killed her so to protect himself, or more likely that she somehow accidentally died during their encounter.
So it was VERY disturbing to hear that she MAY have been alive when he decided to have her body dumped! I don't understand that at all! Why would he do that...unless as you said, Aphra, he gave her date rape drugs.

If it was consensual sex there would be no reason for him to try to cover it up. Her life could have been saved if indeed she was still alive.

Of course now he is saying that he was lying on the tape. I don't think so, but I suppose it could be true. I wish they could find her body and determine the exact cause of death, that would make a big difference.

Two additional things that disturb me about this are:

1) that young people equate "fun" with partying. I wish that would change. Drinking and doing drugs, like it or not, makes people more vulnerable to all kinds of trouble.

2) when Natalee "went missing" I remember one newscaster making a big point out how she was getting so much media attention because she is white and pretty. I wished that weren't true but in all the cases I have followed it does seem that other missing women don't get as much attention as pretty white girls. That's sick and wrong. There are two I can think of off the top of my head that I heard about and then....nothing. They are forgotten, and I know for sure one is still missing because she's local and I can look at her parents website.

So, those are my thoughts. I think he's guilty and most likely used date rape drugs.

4 comments:

Aphra said...

Though if they do ever find her body now, it would be so decomposed they probably couldn't tell what killed her.
He has to live with himself though.

Bar L. said...

You're right, but he doesn't seem to remorseful does he?

Aphra said...

No, but he'll have to live with everyone else knowing what he did.

It was HORRIBLE watching the video footage they took of him. His affect was that that a girl died was no big deal. The worst thing was that she died while he was there (assuming she did die) and caused such a problem for him.

He's pretty high on himself. Hopefully, this takes him down a few notches.

I don't think his parents were involved in the incident though -I can't imagine a parent not calling 911 (or whatever equivalent down there)

Aphra said...

ABC news posted this:

Today van der Sloot's family is reportedly concerned for his mental state, fearing that he may try to commit suicide.

Upset that he got caught?