Monday, June 6, 2011

Why Do I Write This Blog?

Occasionally someone questions why I have a blog on this topic.  Why do I link to all the vile and disturbing stories in the news (trust me, I only refer to a tiny handful of all the horrible acts that occur daily)?
What is the point?  Why bother having this blog at all?

Here's why - because it helps people.  I am honored and humbled that my words have made a difference.

I like to think this blog serves several purposes;

Its a place for victims to find out they are not alone.  They can leave comments or email me (the most common way I hear from people).

Its a place for loved ones of victims to read about the effects of rape/sexual abuse.

And its a place that WARNS PARENTS and others about the many predators out there looking for victims.

Its not a pleasant thing to write about.  I get angry, I cry, I feel helpless to stop the cycle.  So I do what I can.

I have two passions in my life, this is one, the other deals with heroin addiction and recovery.  I spend a lot of time writing on the blog related to that because its what touches my life daily (my son).  But I am re-committing to writing here more often and to making this a better blog by adding new information such as:

1. How to investigate the adults in your children's lives (coaches, teachers, etc.)  I am taking a class in July that will show me how to get beyond the simple search of a sexual offender registry and find more info.  I will share what I learn here.

2.  Same as above for women who want to check out men they are dating or intend to date

3. A more interactive way to connect (not sure what this will look like yet)

4.  Topics more organized in a way that makes them easier to find

Any suggestions you have would be very welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Barbara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think many of us appreciate your diligence to giving a voice to these truly horrible problems which plagues our so called civilized society. I would be doing what you are doing but I am not in the place right now emotionally to handle my own past and reading other people's horrors. To be honest I seldom read your blog posts (news posts). Many of them will trigger me so I stay away.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I certainly appreciate it and I'm sure many read it and do not comment.

Carrie said...

I really appreciate everything you post on here, it's helped me and has certainly made a difference in my life, Thanks Barbara

-Carrie

Mukul Dev Attri said...

Hey its very noble what u r doin out here .. Spreading awareness about this kind of crime .. There is a request .. Join hands with me .. I have started a blog world accelerating .. Join me and help me in that ..

With regards
Mukul Dev Attri