Monday, September 7, 2009

Good Work Dad and Daughter!

Alfredo Granados Canchola

There are two things that stand out to me in this story, which can be read in full here.

1) The 10 year old that was approached by this guy ran and told her dad who had time to run out to the alley and catch most of the license plate on his car. Brave little girl, fast acting daddy. They stopped this predator from abducting more girls.

2) The 13 year old girl got in the car with him and jumped from the moving vehicle to escape. The 16 year old girl got in the car with him and was not so lucky, she was assaulted but was rescued by a male friend at some point during the attack.

My questions:

Don't all parents teach their children NEVER to go anywhere or accept a ride with a stranger?
Assuming the answer to that is "yes', then why do so many kids/teens still do it?

When I was as young as 14 I hitchhiked alone frequently. It was stupid but back in the 70's it was not that uncommon. The only time someone pulled a move was when there were THREE of us in the car with him (he was stupid) we jumped out at a stop sign and ran. BUT in hitchhiking, I was ASKING for a ride. Would I have gotten in a car with a stranger? Probably. Why? Because kids think "it will never happen to me" or are truly naive enough to not even suspect the danger.

All we can do is keep warning them. I hate sharing negative stories like this one with children, but I think we need to do more to make them aware of the dangers. I do this with my son when it comes to drunk driving or motorcycle accidents, like it or not, he hears about every one I read to pound it into his head that it could happen to him if he's not careful.

No comments: