Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What About Craig's List?

I've written about the sad story of Donna Jou, a young woman from this area (Rancho Santa Margarita) who died of a drug overdose the night she agreed to go party with a guy she met over Craig's List. (turned out he was a sexual predator, which is why I wrote about this here).

Of course we have all heard about Philip Markoff, the guy who killed a prostitute he met on Craig's list and robbed several others.

I have used Craig's list myself to try to sell something and to look for something I needed to buy. BUT - even doing that gives me a creepy feeling because I know that I am on a site (unlike eBay) that is directly associates with ads for all sorts of nasty horrible things. That to me says: DANGER.

I am not judging anyone for using it as a place to find sex or whatever, I'm just saying it gives me the creeps. I you could take all the ads in Craig's list and put them in a room as real people, its a room I would not want to step foot in. Even if there is only one creepy person per every thousand nice people - that's still one too many creeps for me.

2 comments:

3L said...

I heard about Craig's List a couple of years ago as a great lace to find a job, but with all the creepy ads I just have stayed away. I feel scared for people who are looking for sex. Though I'm sure most people that use it are honest law abiding citizens I know that it attracts a lot of people with ill motives too. I am encouraged that they are considering removing the sexual personal ads.

King of New York Hacks said...

I gave away yankee tickets on the sight once and taped them underneath a public mailbox for the person to pick up because I am creeped out by that sight.